- Christine Lieberknecht
Greeting from Thuringian Minister President Christine Lieberknecht on the English homepage of thueringen.de
Welcome to the English pages of the website thueringen.de. You will find here a wealth of information on the Free State of Thuringia: on the region’s cultural riches, eventful history, lovely landscape, and also on attractive investment opportunities.
The website is designed to make you curious to visit Thuringia not only virtually, but also in person. Because our state is certainly worth a visit: whether you come here to hike or ski in the Thuringian Forest, to pay a visit to the Wartburg near Eisenach or the Goethe House in Weimar, or to retrace the historical footsteps of Johann Sebastian Bach and Martin Luther: there is plenty to see and discover!
And Thuringia is so easy to get to: thanks to our ultramodern traffic infrastructure, the Free State – set in the heart of Germany and of Europe – can be reached quickly and easily from virtually any point on the continent. On these pages you’ll also find extensive offerings for tourists to our region.
I hope you enjoy perusing our website and I would be delighted if the information we are providing here succeeded in whetting your interest to come and discover Thuringia.
Minister President of Thuringia
- born in Weimar on 7 May 1958
- 1976 university entrance qualification
- 1982 first theological examination
- 1982 Vicariate with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Thuringia
- 1984 second theological examination
- from 1984 to 1990 Pastor in the Church District of Weimar
- since 1991 Member of the Thuringian Parliament
- from 1990 to 1992 Thuringian Minister of Education and Cultural Affairs
- from 1992 to 1994 Thuringian Minister for Federal and European Affairs
- from 1994 to 1999 Thuringian Minister for Federal Affairs with the State Chancellery
- from 1999 to 2004 Speaker of the Thuringian Parliament
- from 5 July 2004 to 7 May 2008 Chairperson of the CDU Faction of the Thuringian Parliament
- from 8 May 2008 to 30 October 2009 Thuringian Minister for Social Affairs, Family and Health
- as of 30 October 2009 Thuringian Minister-President
Since 1981, Christine Lieberknecht has been a member of the Christian Democratic Union; and in September 1989, she was the co-author of the "Letter from Weimar” that contained major demands and impulses for the renewal of the GDR CDU and the call for reform of the East German society. Today, this letter is regarded as a fundamental document of the new orientation of the GDR CDU. In late autumn of 1989, she was elected a member of the CDU leadership under the first democratically elected GDR Prime Minster, Lothar de Maizière.